Wednesday 29 July 2020

Writing Update

So I am unashamedly stealing this idea from Kassie... XD XD but in mu defence she told me to do a similar post! So here we are. This is an update on what I'm currently writing and planning to write. As of June 29th, 2020.

The Boy Soldier: The Adventures of a Young Ensign in Old France
This is a chronological collection of two stories divided into parts (3 parts for one, 2 parts for the other). I'm hoping to add a third story (unsure of how long that one will be) as soon as I can. This series is set in France, unofficially during the 1700s. The first story was written for a writing contest hosted by Victoria Minks; the second one was written for a writing contest hosted by my bestie. The third story idea came to me randomly and as soon as I can find where I put it, I'll try to write it. XP This collection is currently waiting to be edited and made more old-fashioned, too. It's Standalone Christian Historical Fiction and 7,176 words.
This collection captures my love for historical fiction, Henty, fencing/sword-fighting, friendships, and fun. My naïve ensign is one of my favourite characters. <3 We share something in common. ;) 

Broken
This is my heart-book. The MC is the closest to me. Part of his story is my story. A lot of my life is woven into his adventures. This book brought me through so many goals I never dreamed I'd accomplish. This story holds many firsts for me--first married romance, first novel, first writing I cried over... I can't explain how deep a hold this book has on my heart. And the message is one I am passionate about.
Broken is Standalone Inspirational Christian Contemporary, currently sitting at 88,241 words. It's waiting for editing/rewriting while alpha readers and a sensitivity reader go through it.
I also now have a Pinterest board for it. :)

The Chronicles of Kalysia 
I suppose you remember Chords, and Notes, and The Colour Red? Well, yeah. That country that they're all set in. My fictional country of Kalsyia. Turns out that several of my books are set in that country, so I decided to group them under The Chronicles of Kalsyia. They're arranged chronologically (and must be read chronologically) and each book features characters from the previous book. They tell the history of Kalsyia... and let me tell you, it is a story! So I call it my Christian Contemporary Kingdom Fiction. XD 

The fact is, I vaguely created Kalsyia years ago. Chords was the first book I set in it and I had very little idea what was going on. As I wrote Notes and then The Colour Red, I found out more, and then I sat down to actually draw a map and world-build. And now most of Kalsyia is crafted and I'm still working out its history! 

So the first books in that series are....

The Symphony of Hope Series
0.5. Strains
Strains is the prequel to Chords (how obvious is that) and tells the story of Jerry & J.C. when J.C. is still alive. I have no other ideas than that it will probably be very sad and sweet... <3

1. Chords
Um, yeah. This beast of 49,634 words that needs basically a whole rewriting and that I've avoided for years. This one is totally muddled and confusing. But I still love it so much... it has a place in my heart that nothing else will take. And I am excited to get back to work on it. <33 In case you don't know, this is the story of Brett Miller, Jerry Gray, Jennifer Holl, and Bethany Krammer, who are kidnapped by Kalsyian terrorists/rebels and must learn to work together to try to escape. It's all about finding and hanging on to hope in spite of everything going on. <3 

1.5. Harmony
This short story tells the beginning of Jerry and Jennifer's married life. This one is about forgiveness, love, and redemption. <3 It is currently 2,996 words long. 

2. Notes
This short story has turned into a 36,251-word novella, and is threatening to reach anywhere between 50 and 60k. This one tells the story of Jerry and Jennifer (mostly through Jerry's POV) and the story of two boys they foster, Dougal and Tony (told through Doug's POV). This one has made me cry. It's tackled a topic I never expected to tackle--childlessness. It talks of faith, and love, and hope. <33 And I love seeing my characters have grown since their first appearance. <3 It also starts the downward spiral of Kalysia's history. 

2.5. Tunes
Short story sequel to Notes, and all about the Grays. Not sure of anything else, and can't say more because of spoilers! XP 

And we have a mood board for that whole series... :) 

Preserving His Story
This one is supposed to be a short story, but knowing the nature of these books, it may end up being a novella or novel! This one is about Doug's kids and is all about the importance of preserving history. 

The Colours of Life Trilogy
This trilogy was never supposed to happen! It was a random idea that I fell in love with and was encouraged to start writing. It tackles love, foster care, adoption, family, abused children, and police. It was started a week before the riots started... which makes me think God really has a reason for this story. 

1. The Colour Red. 
This book has made me cry so often. It is in a style I never tried before, and it deals with many things I have no idea about. But I have good friends who are really helping me with it, and so far it is already making an impact. This is the story of Jason Walker, an abused orphan who is taken in by a beautiful diverse family named the Randalls. Officer Randall and his two adopted Hispanic sons, Geraldo and Orlando, are policemen, whom Jay has been taught to fear and hate. He has been so long without love that he can hardly believe them when they start telling him they love him... 

Nathan is my favourite, but Jay--sweet, innocent, broken Jay--is my baby. <33

Mood board (I am not responsible for your tears, just sayin'...) 

2. The Colour Blue.
This book takes place a year after the first one. This is where the riots against the government start and the police officers are targetted. It's also where Jay learns to make friends with one of his most feared enemies... and where we introduce a sweet boy named Toko. <33  

This story tackles the themes of faith and peace. 

Mood board: here.

3. The Colour Yellow
The third book... anarchy and rebellion. Fire. Tears. Death. And a sweet baby girl named Sakura. <33 

Mood board here.

Foundations 
This one is historical fiction... set in one of my favourite eras and countries, 1820s Australia. In other words... Bushrangers. :D And of course, a lieutenant in Her Majesty's Navy, because what is an 1800s book without a British sailor? And horses... and... yeah. I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)