Monday 19 August 2019

It's the Little Things

This piece of blank verse came to me while I was hanging laundry. (Never underestimate the power of hanging up laundry, peeps. While you're at it, don't underestimate the power of doing the most commonplace things--you'll never believe where I composed my best piece of poetry.)

I hope this strikes a chord in you. The little things are so small, but so powerful. A little smile can change your day, a little word can haunt you forever. A little gift can be a wonderful memory, a little nasty gesture can sting for ages. A little sin can lead so far away, a little step in the right direction can create great habits.

The little words are particularly to be watched. Someone once made a joke to me about Québec needing to separate from England and take its liberty. That really didn’t sit well with me because one, I’m a very strong British loyalist and two, it would be terrible if Québec separated from Canada. We have been through that before—when it was threatened—and it was frightening. This was a prime example of someone joking about something they had no knowledge about. In my opinion, the joke had no need of being made, and the result was that I’m still frustrated by the memory, I didn’t really want to see that person again, and I didn’t want to sit and listen to them after they brought it up again. Recently I was thinking about this. It was a reminder to me to not joke about things I don’t know about. Not to joke about things that are serious. A reminder that a chance word can hurt and rankle in people’s minds. It can wreck a memory. It can impact much more than you think. It is so, so important to be careful about what you say... and this is a reminder that I needed. We need to watch those little words, because they are powerful. 

Please note that the only reason I bring this up is to serve as an example. I have no wish to bash the person. On the flip side of what I’ve been talking, here’s something else I was reminded. We can’t go through life hanging on to things that hurt and angered us. I don’t know why we do this, but we persist in hashing out happenings and dialogues that hurt us and making us angry again. That’s pointless and actually dangerous and wrong. Let it go. Try to forget. Pray and ask for help to forgive that person. And be willing to forgive. It’s seldom worth holding a grudge about. I’m sure the person I am talking about is a good worker for the Lord, and there’s no need for me to permanently dislike them because of a joke. 

Remember also that when you are out of your country, you represent your country. My parents once met someone who when they told him they were Canadian, he replied, “Oh. I don’t like Canada.” Don’t be the reason someone doesn’t like your country. Don’t be the reason someone avoids going down to your state or province. On the flip side, just because someone from, say, Virginia, offends you, does not mean that all Virginians or even all Americans are nasty! But the point is, what you say or do can affect more than just your day. It can affect someone's life.

So remember the little things and beware of them. 


It's the Little Things
The little smiles that make you smile,
The little message that makes your day,
The little treats that sweeten the mood,
It's the little things.

The little sparkles that make you grin,
The little chat when someone drops by,
The little gift that came from England,
It's the little things.

The little joke that rubs you wrong,
A little remark that seemed so mean,
The little reaction to your plea for help,
It's the little things.

The little sins that build up within,
The little steps towards the wrong,
The little compromises you accept,
It's the little things.

The little words that fuel the anger, 
The little words that come back to haunt,
The little straws that break your back,
It's the little things.

The little things can make or break
Your character, relationships,
Testimony, weeks, and years--
It's the little things.

The little things can make a change;
The little things can lose a soul;
They impact more than just your life--
It's the little things.

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious to learn more about Québec and England and all! This was so good and so true. And y'know, there's been "little things" like this about America (FROM AMERICANS) that did me the same way...like, think that through before you so completely turn me off... Thank you for this reminder. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... blog post idea, maybe?? ;) Thank you! Yes, I know!! Think before you speak... look before you leap. Still applicable today ;)
      You're welcome and thank you for commenting! :)

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)