Monday 2 March 2020

Having Real, Pure Joy


When this journal prompt came out, I came upon the blog post and prepared to answer the answers in the comments. But the first question stopped me. 


What brought me real, pure joy?

In my heart, I knew it wasn’t Jesus. Other people said reading their Bible, or praying. For me, it was nothing of the kind. It had nothing to do with the Lord. Possessions & friends were what made me happy. 

So I didn’t do that challenge. Because I couldn’t. I didn’t have joy. I had a type of happiness. But not True, Pure Joy. 

Fast-forward to 2020. I remembered these journal prompts (there are several) and remembered that I wanted to do them. I’d forgotten what they were, but I found that the February one was this one—Discovering Joy in Jesus.

This time I had no problem answering these questions. My answers were true and heartfelt. I have joy in my Jesus. 

This year I’ve been trying hard to choose joy daily and intentionally. I’ve discovered that the joy of my Lord is my strength. I have discovered that choosing joy in the midst of circumstances CAN be done—but only in Him. I am so much happier now than I was in 2018 or 2019.

Because I have surrendered to the Lord. 

Surrender brings joy. I believe that with all my heart. Because I’ve lived it out. 

Surrendering myself to God and truly obeying & following Him has made a radical change in me. 
I’ve found joy. 

And I am never going back to that dreary desert of my own will and pleasure. Choosing God’s will and pleasure made roses blossom in my wilderness. I won’t look back. 

I have found His grace is all complete,
He supplieth every need;
While I sit and learn at Jesus’ feet,
I am free, yes, free indeed.

Refrain:
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Full of glory, full of glory;
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Oh, the half has never yet been told.

I have found the pleasure I once craved,
It is joy and peace within;
What a wondrous blessing, I am saved
From the awful gulf of sin.

I have found that hope so bright and clear,
Living in the realm of grace;
Oh, the Savior’s presence is so near,
I can see His smiling face.

I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
How its waves of glory roll;
It is like a great o’erflowing well,
Springing up within my soul.

Refrain:
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Full of glory, full of glory;
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Oh, the half has never yet been told.
Barney E. Warren



These things have I spoken unto you, 
that my joy might remain in you, 
and that your joy might be full.
-John 15:11-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)