Monday 17 August 2020

10 Ways to Make a Friend's Day


Hi, friends. :) Today I have a list of things that I have found to bless me. They're things that have made a grey day better, touched my heart, and made me feel loved. They're things which I want to remember to do for my friends. I hope this list can be inspiring for you too. :)


1. Make them a compliment.
It's always nice to let someone know how beautiful they are, or how creative their project is, or how cool their story is, or how nice their new hairstyle is. It always brightens my day when someone tells me something along those lines. It doesn't have to make me prideful (I'm trying hard to combat that) but it can just make me happy to know someone thinks I did a good job or that I actually look nice today. :)

2. Listen to them & offer sympathy &/or advice.
We all need a shoulder to cry on, or a listening ear to pour our troubles in. We need Godly friends who'll point us to Christ and offer sage advice. It can make a big difference to spill it all out, even if the friend can't really do much but let us know they care. It's very freeing to know I have friends who let me vent and love me hard even if they can't fix my problems. Let your friend know you're always ready to listen and help if you can. It makes a difference. 

3. Pray for them & let them know you are praying. 
This I am guilty of often forgetting. It's easy to say "I'm praying" but how often do we actually remember? Write out a list. Hang it in a prominent place so you remember to pray often for the people on it. Make it a priority. And let them know it's a priority. Randomly asking, "Hey, how can I pray for you today?" or "I'm rewriting my prayer lists--is there anything I can pray about for you?" lets them know you're serious. There was a time when I would message people and say, "Just wanted you to know I'm praying for you today" and the responses I got were amazing... "I've been really struggling today and your message really encouraged me." You never know when a message like that can make a difference.

4. Randomly check up on them.
I can tell you nothing warms my heart like suddenly seeing a message in my inbox that says, "Hey, dear, I'm thinking of you today. How are you?" It's a small act of kindness, but it goes so far. <33 

5. Express interest in their moments.
Is your friend enjoying the arrival of a new kitten? Worrying over a computer problem? Struggling with editing? Screaming over a new car? Whatever is happening in their life right now, big or small, that they share about--let them know you care. A one-sentence comment, an emoji... it means you are willing to make time for them.

6. Tell them what they mean to you. 
Whether it's a random message or the end of a conversation, a birthday post or a quick shoutout... let your friends know what they mean to you and how God has used them in your life. When a person gets bogged down in all the things they've done wrong, all their problems the reminder that they touched someone's life, that their pain was used to help someone else--that really blesses and gives new courage. 

7. If they have a business, book, blog, anything like that, give them a review or shoutout on social media.
Reviews &/or shoutouts make a difference! Share about your friend's book, business, blog, bookstagram, etc. Talk about it. Let people know how awesome it is. xP If you can't honestly recommend it, then don't; but if you can, do! 

8. Send them a letter or card, maybe a little gift. 
Mail is just so special to get. Just adding stickers, wash tape, quotes, & pretty lettering makes a letter even more special! 'A little gift' needn't be big, either. A bookmark, a keychain, a painting, a poem... there are many inexpensive little gifts you can send your friend. Birthday/Christmas presents are super fun, but so are random, unexpected ones! 

9. Share with them what God’s been teaching you.
It can be really encouraging to hear of how God is working in people's lives. We are supposed to build each other up and encourage one another in Christ, but how can we if we never talk of Him? Share the Bible verses, the sermon notes, the passages from your devotions, the hymns... Talk of your mutual Saviour & God and rejoice together. 

10. Ask how a current project of theirs is going. 
When you're working hard on a book, blog, painting, or any other project, it's heartening to know someone else remembers you're invested in it and is genuinely interested in how it's coming along! You encouragement might just be the thing to get them through writer's block, discouragement, or weariness. :)

~ / / ~

There you are! What are some ways you bless/are blessed by your friends? 

6 comments:

  1. I love this!!! It definitely inspires me to do some of these things for my friends. Matter of fact, I think I'll go text one I haven't heard from in a while right now and let her know I'm thinking of her...
    Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so glad! Thank you! Please do, I'm sure that'll bless her :)
      You're welcome! Thank you for your comment! <3

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)