Monday 29 July 2019

The Cost of Exaggeration

Exaggeration. I think were all guilty of it. 

Im not totally against exaggeration. In fact, Im quite an exaggerating person. My friends can testify. ;) But since I dont want all those embarrassing stories to come out I dont think well ask them to. 

I can think of several good reasons to exaggerate. (Well, more or less good ones, depending on your personal tastes and opinions. ;P) First off, it’s humorous. I dont know about you, but reading exaggeration often makes me laugh. Well-written exaggeration can sometimes bring up the most hilarious scenarios in your mind. I like to laugh, and exaggeration is often something that I can laugh at. 

Two, its emphatic. Emphasis is important. Im a very emphatic person so maybe Im biased. Emphasis makes your stand clear and can be very useful. ;) 

But as useful (or enjoyable) as exaggeration is, it does hold some danger. Think about this for a minute...

...if everything is soaking wet, what will we say when things are so wet theyre dripping water?

...if every time its hot we boil, what are we going to say when the temperature rises by ten degrees?

...if everything makes us laugh our heads off, what is going to happen when something is so funny we laugh ourselves speechless?

...if everything is the most adorable thing ever, what will we say when we see something heart-melting? 

...if everything makes us literally, do something, how will we convey that we actually did literally do something? 

If every time something happens we die... 
then why are we still alive? 

Exaggeration is all very well in its place, but if we constantly use it, then it loses its flavour and weakens our words. 

What if instead, we said...

... that the towel we just used was wet, and that when we went running in the rain we were soaking wet?

... that last week was hot” and that this week its boiling in Pennsylvania?

... that the meme we just saw was “really funny, and that our father just made a joke that made us laugh our heads off?

... that the puppy was super cute, and that our little sisters baby smile is the most adorable thing ever?

...that we virtually hit the roof and that our mother literally cried with joy at her surprise birthday party?

And let's not die of emotion.

If we save exaggeration for the times when we really want to express ourselves strongly, it will be much more effective. 

... Just some thoughts that I had recently. What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Very well said! I enjoyed this post. Literally;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're a sweetheart. Literally ;)

      Delete
  2. This was really interesting!! Something I don't think about that often, honestly. My mom broke me of really bad exaggeration when I was little but I'm still pretty guilty of it. �� (I say literally like all the time...and that's NOT an exaggeration!) My dad always jokes with me that "exaggerations are the best thing ever!" ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes, it can be really funny ;)

      Delete
  3. I loved this post! I am guilty of exaggeration, but I have been trying to work on it. I've cought myself using the word "Literally" a couple times where it just doesn't apply and its frustrating me. ;)
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mikayla!! So am I, and I'm also trying to stop :) I've had the exact same problem! ;)
      You're welcome! Thank you for commenting! <3

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)