Monday 18 May 2020

10 Books That Made Me Tear Up // Part One


Today I am starting a new blog series, inspired by Abigayle Claire. Every once in a while I will share about some books that particularly moved me or touched me in a certain way--made me laugh, thrill, think, etc. For some reason I decided to start with 'cry,' sooo... here we are. ;) And since  I actually came up with ten more books that made me tear up, part two will be coming next month. xP

I tear up easily in books. In movies, I try hard to be stoic, even though it's much more difficult. But I often feel cheated if a book doesn't make me cry, especially if it did the first time I read it. xP All that to say, these may not make everybody cry. But they made me cry. ;)

1. Hana's Suitcase by Karen Levine.
I don't tear up in Holocaust books as a rule. But this one made me tear up. it was so poignant and tragic and beautiful and real. One of the best children's books I've ever read.


2. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
What a surprise. ;) I love this book to bits and everyone knows it. I've read it probably fifty times or more... and I still tear up several times. The scene where Jo & Beth talk on the seashore. The whole chapter 'The Valley of the Shadow.' I think perhaps in other places too. I can't help it. It's so beautiful and sad and hopeful and everything. <33


3. O to be Like Thee by Kassie Angle.
Ah, yes. This book is a heart-tugger. It doesn't rip your heart into pieces... it just tugs at it. It made me cry quietly and steadily. It was so good. Though Tattered Wings is still better, in my opinion. I can't remember if I cried while reading that one or not... 


4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M.Montgomery.
Every single time I read this book (and I've read it dozens of times) I cry when Matthew's death rolls around. Can't help it. It's such a bittersweet chapter. Such a good book, this is. And the last chapter of Anne of Ingleside makes me tear up too. The last chapter of Rainbow Valley doesn't make me cry but oh, it tears my heart. </3


Ah, yeah. This book. I cried several times when I read it for the first time, and I still tear up or at least choke up. The one death scene is sooo hard. </3 This book is so real.


6. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. 
ACK. This book is a masterpiece. Don't you dare tell me you read it and weren't touched by Sydney Carton. I just kept tearing up when I finished it. I was so happy and at peace. <33


Wow, I'm impressed by how balanced this is. Old-new-old-new. Didn't plan that. Just happened. But now I see a snag in my lovely pattern with the next book on my list, so I'll be rearranging it. xD 

Anyhow. This book made me tear up several times. <33 Especially over Rebekah's prayer chains. 


8. Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter. 
Mhm. The chapter where Pollyanna is so pathetically glad. You know what I'm talking of if you read the book. That was so bittersweet. <3 This book is amazing. 


Oh my heart. This book made me cry harder than any book ever did. I cried over Alcott and Warner and Montgomery. But I sobbed over this one. It totally and completely wrecked my heart. It's such a good book. It's the first of the series, but it's the best. And A Question of Courage made me tear up too. But A Question of Loyalty hit me too hard for tears. Maybe next time I'll cry. xP


10. From Anna by Jean Little. 
This book always makes me tear up. I relate to Anna in some ways. And the message of the book is amazing. <3 


~ // ~

So, can you name any books that made you tear up?

6 comments:

  1. Books that make you cry are usually SO good! I have never fully read Anne of Green Gables (I need to :p) but when I watch the tv series I cry when Matthew dies (I don't know if that counts.) My sister is actually reading A Tale of Two Cities right now. :)

    ~Beth

    bethinboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they are! If books can make you cry, it means that they are living books full of real, relatable characters. <33 YES, YOU SO NEED TOOOOOOOO! XD I have never watched the TV series... someday... but yeah, I think that counts. ;) Oh, fun! Hope she enjoys it!! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great list! I've read most of these and they were all pretty touching/emotional. I haven't cried while reading until more recently, and I think there's no going back now ... #oops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! :) I'm glad it's not just me... XD I've cried for books all my life... there was a time when I tried to be stoic but now I enjoy it... it's kind of like a sign that a book is really, REALLY great. XD

      Delete
  3. “I don't tear up in Holocaust books as a rule”... oh man, I’m always a sappy mess if it’s about the Holocaust... </3
    (OTBLT will always be my favorite... *blue heart emoji*) (and it still makes me cry...)
    Ohh, I’m rereading AQoH for the third time and I’m still about to cry my eyes out...
    I cry a LOT in books. It’s a good thing for sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy... I'm kind of glad I'm not?? XP I read so many Holocaust books... </3
      (OTBLT is so good... but TW is better...)
      Isn't it so sadddd & beautifullll??
      It is. :D

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)