Thursday 12 September 2019

Book Review 15: The Rivers of Sorrow by Ryana Lynn Miller

Happy Thursday, friends! Here is the third book in this striking series...



The Rivers of Sorrow 



Synopsis: 
1863
Our Time of Trial
Life is not a bed of roses. It's often riddled with thorny trials that will make or break us. The same is true for the Mason family and their friends.
Richard shook his head, "General, sir, I am honored beyond words that the men regard me so highly...but I am only nineteen, sir."
"Days away from twenty," Jackson remarked, glancing down at a paper before him. "I want you to take this as an opportunity from our ever-kind Heavenly Father. He has His hand of blessing upon you, Lt. Mason. Don't turn away from His plans for you."
Join the Mason family as the war continues to rage around them, threatening at any time to take a dear one from them. War can bring out the best and worst in people, and when nerves are strained to the breaking point, will they be able to do what they know is right? And if they fail, will the wallow in defeat or arise the victor over their circumstances? 
You'll Learn About...
Chancellorsville
Gettysburg
Chickamauga
Camp Douglas
The Cavalry
Quiltings
And Much, Much More!
When through the deep waters I cause thee to go, 
The Rivers of Sorrow shall not thee o're flow. 

My Review:
⭐⭐ ❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎
4.5 stars & 5/10 hearts. These books just get better and better... or I should say worse and worse. I actually had to take a break at only 37% because I was getting so frustrated with the whole situation. The breaking up of families, the suffering, the hatred and pain, just hurt me so badly. Can’t you guys just stop, already?! But it is real, and they cannot stop. There are two more years and I’m almost afraid to read those two last books. How could things possibly get worse? I love characters on both sides. Almost all the characters I love have suffered. I was thankful when I reached 80% because I could soon close the book and know my people were safe for a little while. I never realized the full effect of the Civil War. I still don’t side with the South, but I also don’t agree with much of what the North does. I’m just torn. I’ve never had any war brought alive to me in such a way. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to read these books. 


A Favourite Quote: “‘[I]t only says it isn’t good..., not forbidden.
Dixie frowned. Sir, if it isn’t good, then what is the alternative?’” 
A Favourite Humorous Quote: Sabine surveyed Seth from head to toe. I know what you’re missing.’ He hurried from the room and soon returned with a glass bottle. Gentry nodded in agreement. 
“‘I ain’t gonna drink that, Seth declared. If it’s medicine, I don’t need it and if it’s-
“‘It’s cologne, Mason.’” 



~ / / ~

Do you enjoy reading books about war?

 

4 comments:

  1. Okay, you almost made me tear up over my own book, girl! This book was probably the hardest to write do far...but book 5 will probably trump that for me...

    And the quotes you picked! Both of those scenes I just adore ♡♡♡

    Thank you for reviewing TROS! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That’s high praise, thank you! ;) Ooo, I’m dreading book five... :{
      Aw, I’m glad!
      Thank YOU for letting me read it!

      Delete
  2. This was such a good review. <3 And like you said, that this is real even though it's happening to fictional people... And Dixie is so strong and beautiful... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! <3 Yeah, that’s what makes it so tough...

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)