Friday 31 January 2020

18 Things I Learned in 2019


Sunday was my 19th birthday. I'm almost starting a new decade. :) I decided to borrow Brooklyne Elysse's idea and write a post about 18 things I learned in 2019--my 18th year.


1. The Unknown is worth stepping into.
I hate stepping out of my comfort zone. I hate not knowing. I hate being unsure. This year, I had to face a lot of Unknowns because I became an adult. And I learned that it's worth it to step out of your comfort zone. It's worth it to do stuff you wouldn't normally do. It's worth it to have a new experience. It's worth it to trust God and follow Him.

2. Fear will cripple your life if you let it. 
Fear costs so much. I have lived my life in one constant cycle of fear of many different things. But I don't need to. Over & over God tells me to have courage & faith. And in His strength, I'm trying so hard to do that. I know He rules everything, that His way is best, & that all will turn for good. And I strive to always remember and believe it. And so often, what you fear is much less worse than you expected. 

3. Surrender is beautiful.
Surrender is so hard to do. I'm a desperately proud person. But this year God taught me the value of surrendering. When I surrender to God, He uses me in ways I never dreamed of. He fulfils my deepest longings, my wildest dreams. My most cherished plans and aspirations are safe in His hand, and I know He's got even better things for me. When I surrender my self, my dreams, my plans, my ideas, He always gives me much more than I gave up.

4. Invest in your friendships.
People may not invest in it. People may ignore you. People may use you and give you nothing in return. But oh, the value of a Godly friendship. The value of creating a strong, beautiful relationship. It's worth the pain and the effort. Be there for people. Love them. Show them & tell them that you love them. Give them compliments. Be involved in their lives. It's oh-so-worth it in the end. 

5. Watch your words. 
I tend to blurt things out without thinking. I get offended quickly and retort. And then I regret it. You can never be too careful what you say. Learn to speak slowly, listen more, let God control your tongue. It will remove many problems & heartaches. 

6. The little things are still sins.
They may seem harmless enough. Just a bitter thought. A sharp word. A complaint. A rebellious moment. But they are still sins. They are still to be rooted out of our lives. 

7. Being Christlike is the best kind of beauty. 
I aspire to be beautiful & was always miserable & self-deprecatory because I am not. But I have finally learned that true beauty is to let Jesus shine through you. It's not the outside that counts; it's the inside. The inside will wreck the most beautiful outside, or beautify the plainest outside.  

8. Pride is a great burden. 
I am very proud & have always been so. This year I realized what a toll it was taking on me. It made me unhappy, bitter, miserable, discontented. It cost me far more than I wanted to pay. I have no real reason for pride, 'save in the death of Christ my God.'

9. Bitterness hurts yourself & the people you love best.
Bitterness never hurts the person who hurt you. It only wrecks your life & that of those you love most. It is of no use. It is a sin. It is a poison. It is something that I am trying hard to rid my life of. Because it too has done its fair share of making my life miserable. 

10. Let it go. 
It'll do no good to stew. It'll do no good to hash it out again. It will only make you angrier and more bitter. Let it go. Turn it over to God. Leave it in His hands. Turn the other cheek. Refuse anger. It's so, so worth it. I wish I'd learned this earlier--and easier. Accept other people's opinions (I'm talking of non-doctrinal/moralistic ones here). Step out & away from the argument. Don't drag it out. Let it go. And forgive. Freely & completely.  

10. Dedication & perseverance pays off.
It's hard to do. It costs time & effort. It's hard work. But man, does it ever make life better. It's a thousand times worth it. Laziness costs so much more than you're willing to pay in the long run. 

12. Schedules, to-do lists, & planners (& outlines) can be your best friends. 
It's so worth taking the time to make a list or schedule. It saves so much time. It saves your memory. It saves you from beating yourself up. It's absolutely worth making as detailed as possible. Also TIMERS. They can be lifesavers. 

11. Choices catch up with you sooner or later.
Taking the easy way out. Going with the flow. Putting things off. Avoiding the hard work. You will pay. You will be horrified & distressed at the results. Bad choices are repaid with interest. Thank God, good choices are repaid with interest too. 

13. When you fall down, you need to forgive yourself, pick yourself up, and try again. 
It'll do no good to beat yourself up. It'll waste time to sit there moping & groaning. You'll never succeed if you give up. Get up. Try again. Baby steps. Childlike faith. Keep persevering. 

14. It's oh-so-worth-it to be open & real & vulnerable.
By sharing what you are learning, by being a real person, by declining all pedestals, you can encourage a struggling sister or brother so much. God rewards those who encourage others. Blessing others will bless you in return. 

15. People-pleasing is absolutely crippling. 
You'll never please everyone. You are not supposed to please them. The only one who counts is God. You can't deceive Him. If you please Him you'll end up pleasing those who love Him. They're really the only people you want to please, and that's the best way to do it. Follow Christ & you will be truly happy. 

16. God can use you as you are if you let Him. 
I don't have to be perfect. I don't have to be anything special. I just have to let Him have control of me. I just need to obey Him. He will do the rest. 

17. Choose love. 
Choose love when they hurt you. Choose love when they offend you. Choose love when others choose hate. Choose love when others mock. Choose love when others walk away. God is love. Show His love. It's hard. It's a daily sacrifice. But your reward will be great. 

18. God knows best. 
Trusting that makes life so much easier. In all things, great or small, He has a perfect plan which will be executed at the right time. Wait. Just wait.

~ / / ~ 

This was a hard year in many ways. But I grew. I learned. It was a year worth living. I look forwards to this year, the last of my teen years. I'm eager to see what God will teach me this year.

6 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed!! You're so welcome. Thanks for the idea!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Katja...Thanks for being willing to share. I love these things...what a needed reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <33 You're welcome. I'm so glad it blessed you!!

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)