Monday 13 January 2020

My 2019 Bookish Recap


Well, friends, 2019 is just done... and I'm going to do a bookish recap. This may be long... xP

I'm stealing half of this idea from Victoria, half from Sarah, and half from Lindsey. ;P

*all images from Google* 


~ My Top 10 Favourite Books of the Year ~
(These are new reads and most are not part of a series. There are a couple who are but since I did not read other books in the series this year, I included them here.) 

1. Enemy Brothers. (10/10 hearts)


Oh my heart. This book covered so many of my favourite things. Sibling relationship. Beautiful prose. Excitement. Tender love. A RAF officer. World War Two. Midshipmen. England. Humour. Pathos. Drama. Choosing the right though it's hard to do. I love this book so, so much. Dym is my favourite character ever and I love him so much. Here are two reviews all about this amazing book: Mary H's and mine





2. The Singing Tree. (9/10 hearts)



I was sad to find that this is the sequel instead of the first book, like I thought it was, but I'm so glad I read it. This is about the opposite side of the war as Rilla (Hungary belonged to Austria and was obliged to fight with Germany) and I loved seeing the opposite side. <33 My review: here. 






3. The Elements of Style. (9/10 hearts)



This book is a GEM. Writers, you 100% need this. Speakers, you 100% need this. Actually, anyone who writes or talks English in any amount should read this. It is hilarious, sharp, clear, concise (and I'm breaking the rule of brevity right now...) and 100% worth reading. See my review. 






4. Fighting the Flames. (8/10 hearts)




My first Ballantyne. <33 So, so glad I discovered this author. He's like Henty, but more humorous and a Christian! I love how he shares the Gospel in each of his books. this book was a fantastic view of the firefighters of 1800 England. Such heroes!! My review: here.






5. Bridgers(8/10 hearts)





It's been too long since I read this (yeah, I know, I read it this year, But it's seriously so good.) A beautiful redemptive arc, excellent humour, amazing characters, and a lovely friendship, all topped by an important lesson told oh-so-well. My review...





6. O to be Like Thee. (8/10 hearts)




Oh me. This book wasn't quite what I expected, but I think it was better. It was beautiful. And I cried. More than once. Go read it, because it's 100% worthwhile. My review: “O to be Like Thee.”







7. The Princess at the Chalet School. (7/10 hearts)


The first two books of this series I have read many times and I have literally loved them to pieces. Now I don't even dare read my copies anymore. :( But this one is soooo good too!!! Here's my review: “The Princess at the Chalet School.”







8. The Reb & the Redcoats(7/10 hearts)



Whaaaat?! you expected this list to be complete without several Constance Savery books?! ;P This was my second Savery book and I loved it! So sweet and funny!! My review: “The Reb & the Redcoats.”







9. The Dark House on the Moss. (8/10 hearts)


Yesssssss. My third Savery book, and only made me love her more. I love this one so. so. so much. A touch of mystery, a touch of romance, some wonderful characters (MORVILLE <33) and such a sweet sibling relationship!!! Unfortunately I do not yet have a review up but I hope to in the new year! 



10. Prisoners of Geography (8/10 hearts) 


I read this one in French. But I'm sure it's just as good in English, since it was originally written in that language. This was such an informative, humorous, well-written book and I learned a lot from it, besides enjoying the sarcasm! My review... Prisoners of Geography.





~ My Top 10 Favourite Rereads of the Year ~ 

1. Little Women. (10/10 hearts)



I read this book every year, and each time I somehow love it more. It is beautiful. So full of little nuggets of truth & help; so full of love & hope & trust; so full of beauty & pathos; so full of amazing characters & real life situations. It is my second-favourite novel (^^ EB is my favourite) for a very good reason. <33 Read my review here. 





2. Basic Principles of Speech (1946 EDITION). (10/10 hearts)




This is perhaps the most obscure book in the world... I can't even find a synopsis for it. And that is SUCH a pity. I think more teens need to read this book. Especially writers. Not only does it teach now to express oneself well in writing, it also gives lots of common-sense advice about normal life. Read my review here. 





3. Daniel Boone, Wilderness Scout. (10/10 hearts)



Such a very good book!! Nonfiction at its best. It's easy to understand, yet detailed; full of information, but never boring; reads both like a novel and like a biography; well written; and very fair to both Indians and settlers. Highly recommended! Read my review here. 






4. Rilla of Ingleside. (9/10 hearts)




 I haven't read this books in SO long, and this year I read it in French and in English. I was deeply touched both times. I have read many, many war books, but none ever touched me like this one (yes, not even EB). The one that got closest was The Singing Tree. This book made me realize how terrible WWI was for people. And yet it had some hilarious moments (Susan + Cousin Sophia, anyone??). Read my review here. 




5. Jack & Jill. (9/10 hearts)


OK, OK, so I have a lot of rereads on here. But oldies are sometimes the best! I reread this for the first time this year and loved it just as much as the first time I read it (one year ago? two years ago??). It is hilarious, but sweet and full of lovely sibling relationships and wise words. <33 My review here.







6. Little Men. (9/10 hearts)




Ah, yes. Very different from Little Women, and yet almost as good! This one has more funny escapades and fewer lessons than LW, but it also mingled grief and joy, beauty & drama, amazing characters and real-life wisdom. My review is here






7. From Anna. (n/a)


I've read this book several times, but I love it. It's a Christmas story to me, because it ends at Christmas (such a lovely ending!!). I relate to Anna in more than one way, and I think that may be one reason why I love it. But it's also just so well written & beautiful. My review: “From Anna.”







8. Rose in Bloom. (8/10 hearts)



This list would not be complete without lottttts of Louisa May Alcott. ;) I love the first book in this series, but the second is even better. <33 So full of good lessons. My review: “Rose in Bloom.”






9. The Railway Children. (9/10 hearts)



OH MY HEART. I love this book SO MUCH. I've reread this about once a year and each time I fall more in love. <33 It is so sweet and funny and a bit mysterious.... Review here: “The Railway Children.”







10. Mr. Pipes & the British Hymn Makers. (n/a)
 



Oh, how I do love this book. So English. So full of poetry. So funny. Mixing biography and story so well. <333 Review: “Mr. Pipes & the British Hymn Makers.”




~ My Favourite Series of the Year~ 
(This one has both new reads & rereads.)

1. The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott. (new)


 

These books were totally unlike anything I have ever read, but oh, I love them so much. And so does everybody else, so that proves that these really are awesome. My reviews: 
  1. “Red Rover, Red Rover.” 
  2. “Plan to Fail.” 
  3. “Bad Things, Small Packages.” 
  4. “Tutor, Nanny, Spit-Up, Spy.” 
  5. “A-Spying We Will Go.” 
  6. “Once Upon a Dime.”
2. The Tales of Tarsurella. (new)

 
I loved these from the very first and adored each book. Almost fantasy, but very real; perfectly fairytale-ish at time, yet full of excitement; with amazing characters and terrifying villains. My reviews: 
  1. “The Coronation.”
  2. “The Rebellion.”
  3. “The Wedding.”
3. The Anne of Green Gables Series. (reread)


I hadn't read books 5-8 in years, but this year I reread them in French and in English. <33 Such an amazing series.... My reviews:

  1. “Anne of Green Gables.” 
  2. “Anne of Avonlea.” 
  3. “Anne of the Island.” 
  4. “Anne of Windy Poplars.” 
  5. “Anne's House of Dreams.” Recommended Ages: 18+
  6. “Anne of Ingleside.” 
  7. “Rainbow Valley.” 
  8. “Rilla of Ingleside.” 
4. The Little House on the Prairie Series. (reread)


Again, a series that I hadn't read for a couple years. I found that I loved them even more as a young woman than I did as a child. My reviews:

  1. “Little House in the Big Woods.” 
  2. “Farmer Boy.” 
  3. “Little House on the Prairie.”
  4. “On the Banks of Plum Creek.” 
  5. “By the Shores of Silver Lake.” 
  6. “The Long Winter.” 
  7. “Little Town on the Prairie.” 
  8. “These Happy Golden Years.” 
  9. “The First Four Years.”
5. The Little Women Series. (reread)
*looks around for someone to howl with over the mismatching covers* 

Ahhhhh. I've known the first book all my life. I discovered the second when I was a preteen, and the third when I was an young teenager. I love these books. They're an amazing series. My reviews...

  1. “Little Women.”
  2. “Little Men.”
  3. “Jo's Boys.”
6. The Winnie-the-Pooh Series. (reread)
 

I don't know how many times I listened to these with one ear while doing other stuff. they sound even more clever and hilarious when you listen to them! 

  1. “Winnie-the-Pooh.” 
  2. “The House at Pooh Corner.” 
  3. "When We Were Very Young."
  4. "Now We Are Six."
7. The Malory Towers Series. (reread)
 


 
I haven't read these in years... but this year I binged them and they were so fun to reread!! 
  1. “First Term at Malory Towers.” 
  2. “Second Form at Malory Towers.” 
  3. “Third Year at Malory Towers.” 
  4. “Upper Fourth at Malory Towers.” 
  5. “In the Fifth at Malory Towers.” 
  6. “Last Term at Malory Towers.” 

Favourite Christian Book: Three People by Isabella Alden.
Favourite Contemporary: Beloved by Kaitlyn Krispense.
Favourite Romance: The Rebellion by Livy Lynn Jarmusch.
Favourite Nonfiction: Basic Principles of Speech by William Trrufant Foster & Lew Sarrett.
Favourite Historical Fiction: Enemy Brothers by Constance Savery
Favourite Fantasy: Beautiful Blue World by Suzanne LaFleur. 
Favourite Mystery: The Window at the White Cat by Mary Roberts Rinehart.
Favourite Dystopian: Echoes by Miranda Marie.
Favourite Middle-Grade/Juvenile Fiction Book: Sarah, Plain & Tall by Patricia MacLachlan.
Favourite Action Book: Once Upon a Dime by Perry Elisabeth Kirkpatrick.

Favourite Comedy: Paddington Marches On by Michael Bond. 
*these are all new reads* 


~ Bookish Recap Tag ~
(yes, I know, this was a 2018 tag, but it still works for 2019 and I want to use it so). 

// How many books did you read this year? (Exact if you know, or approximate if not.) 
546 books & short stories (341 new, 205 reread). Plus a few of those books were read two or three times (Emily Abbott, anyone?) 

// Did you set a reading challenge for yourself and, if so, did you meet it? 
 Yes! I aimed for 250, then decided to do my ultimate dream and aim for 365. Then I raised my goal for 410, and then to 475. I never dreamed to reach 500!!!

// What was your most read genre this year? Least read? 
Most read was Historical Fiction (272 books). Least read was Poetry (3 books).

// What's five of your least favourite books from this year? 
1. A Father for Christmas. 
2. Alice's Journey West.
3. Small Town Christmas.
4. Entertaining Angels.
5. Pieces of the Past. 

// What new favourite author did you discover? (Not necessarily that the author is 'new,' but that they became new to you this year.) 
Constance Savery!!!!!! She was an author in the 1940s. I discovered Enemy Brothers while shopping a book sale. Latermy sister found The Reb & the Redcoats on Amazon and I bought it and loved it. And finally, a friend gave me a PDF copy of The Dark House on the Moss and we buddy-read it. <33 Guys, she is an amazing author!!! 

// What's five of your favourite book covers from the year? 
This could either be books that came out this year or books that I read this year, right?? So I’m going to do both. xD 

Books read this year...




Books released this year... (and also read this year xP)  




// How many books did you purchase for yourself this year? (Exact if you know, approximate if not.) 
61 books, 15 print and 46 ebooks. :[] Yeah, next year the goal is to buy no more books besides birthday presents. 

// What's the longest book you read this year? 
Very likely Basic Principles of Speech. 590 pages!! BUT SO WORTH IT. 

// What's the shortest book you read this year? 
I'm not sure, but I think there was an Isabella Alden one of 10 pages or less. Shorter than 24 I count as a short story, and I read over 40 of those. xP 

// What's your reading goal for next year? 
I don’t think I’ll set a number goal for 2020. I’ll be doing college and I don’t want to stress myself. I have a list of books I want to read and review this year, but I won’t let myself stress over it. I'll just see what I can get done. But I do hope to read 100. 

 ~ / / ~

Tell me about your bookish 2019!

10 comments:

  1. Impressive! *archives post for future use...* sounds like a lot of good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the books I read this year were amazing. ;) And yes, do it some day!

      Delete
  2. this was so fun to read! ohh and I archieved my post on my old blog, mainly because I kept getting spam comments, and it was driving me nuts! but i'll hopefully put all the posts back up when I figure out how to turn off commenting.
    SO MANY GEMS AHHH! esp the whole Anne of Green Gables series, I just reread them this fall and they are so precious!!
    And I am also determined not to buy any books this year. In 2018 I bought so many books on impulse that were cheaper than the orginal price and they ended up being garbage and so now I have to find a way to get rid of them. Definitely learned my lesson that time haha!!
    I also just ordered Rose in Bloom and Eight Cousins from the library, they look so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughhhh! I hope you can figure it out. How annoying!!
      YESSS they’re all gems!!!! <33 Hahaha i already broke my decision and now I feel soooo guilty. But I will keep trying!!
      Ohhh! That’s wonderful!! They are amazing. I hope you enjoy them!!

      Delete
  3. Great post Katja. You have a very impressive list of books. I have read the "Anne Of Green Gables" series as well as the "Little House On The Prairie " books. the "Chalet' books I have the first four but have not read them. "Pat Of Silverbush" series by Lucy Maud Montgomery is my favorite books by the author. I have read "An Old Fashioned Girl' "A Garland For Girls' by Louisa May Alcott . i am reading the 28 book series of "Elsie Dinsmore",three more to go. Many Christmas books and all the holidays through out the year are on my read list. I want to re read the "Anne Of Green Gables "series.
    Happy reading in 2020
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marion! :) Those are amazing, aren’t they?! Oh wow!!! That’s wonderful! You should totally read them. ;) I’ve never read that one; I should try it! I’ve read “Olf-Fashioned Girl” but not “Garland for Girls” yet.., Oh yes! My sister read them several times this year and loved them. I really want to read them too. Maybe when I’m done college. XP Happy reading, and thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete
  4. Girl, you have no idea how much it means to see my book as one of your favorites. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOTH of your stories were top favourites. They’re that good, dear. <33

      Delete
  5. So many good books!! I'd forgotten all about The Railway Children: I'll have to get my hands on it to read! The last time I read it was about 10 years ago, but I remember LOVING it, so hopefully it's as good as I remember! :)

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! Oh my word definitely reread it!!! The ebook is free on Amazon & Gutenberg. ;) It’s amazing. <33
      Thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)