Friday 29 November 2019

A Song Tag


I took this tag from Mikayla’s archives because it was way too fun to pass over! All these songs are from my Scottish folk song playlist. 

Favourite song: 
That is SOOOO hard to pick. But I definitely very much love Skye Boat Song, sung by Nicky Spence. It’s soooo gorgeous. I love singing it and I love listening to it even more. 
Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing,
Onward! the sailors cry;
Carry the lad that's born to be King
Over the sea to Skye.

Least favourite song: 
I took out the songs I didn’t like from the playlist, so I’ll go with another song I heard once and that I hate. The Lord of the Dance. Ugh. 

A song that makes you happy: 
The Uist Tramping Song (sung by Gregory Moore). It’s so happy :) Always makes me smile so wide! 
Come along, come along! Let us foot it out together, 
Come along, come along, be it fair or stormy weather, 
With the hills of home before us and the purple of the heather, 
Let us sing in happy chorus: come along, come along.


A song that makes you sad: 
O Waly, Waly (sung by Samuel Dundas & Suzanne Kompass). That particular line... 

O, love is handsome and love is fine,
And love's a jewel while it is new,
But when it’s old, it groweth cold,
And fades away, like morning dew.

So sad. 🙁 I like that song because it’s so dramatic and sad. 😝

A song that makes you think of someone: 
I know she’s dead, but The Isle of Mull (sung by Gregory Moore & the Pymble Ladies' College) kind of makes me think of Flora McDonald somehow... 
And I can't find the lyrics anywhere!

A song that makes you think of somewhere: 
MacGregor’s Gathering (sung by Samuel Dundas & the Queensland Choir) makes me think of the Highlands because it reminds me so much of Rob Roy (Sir Walter Scott).

If they rob us of name, and pursue us with beagles, 

Give their roofs to the flame, and their flesh to the eagles! 


While there's leaves in the forest, and foam on the river, 

MacGregor despite them shall flourish for ever! 

A song that reminds you of an event: 
Again, it’s history, but The Long Ships (sung by Thomas Keenan & the Pymble Ladies' College), makes me think of the Vikings disembarking in England. 
Couldn't find the lyrics for this one either...

A song you know all the words to: 
Scots Wha Hae (sung by Gregory Moore, Thomas Keenan, & the Pymble Ladies' College). 😍 Such a lovely poem and such lovely music!!! 
Wha will be a traitor knave? 
Wha can fill a coward's grave! 
Wha sae base as be a slave? 
         Let him turn and flee! 
Wha for Scotland's king and law 
Freedom's sword will strongly draw, 
Freeman stand, or freeman fa', 
         Let him follow me! 

A song you can dance to: 
I don’t dance to songs but I do tap my feet to music and one that’s definitely a foot-taper is The March of the Cameron Men (sung by Samuel Dundas & the Queensland Choir). I love the lyrics too! 
There's many a man of the Cameron clan 
That has followed his chief to the field.
He has sworn to support him or die by his side,
For a Cameron never can yield.

A song that helps you fall asleep: 
Hmmm... I don’t listen to music to fall asleep. So I don’t know. Once, though, when I was sick, I listened to my hymns playlist while lying in bed one night, and I remember that Dear Lord & Father of Mankind really relaxed me. 
Drop thy still dews of quietness,
till all our strivings cease;
take from our souls the strain and stress,
and let our ordered lives confess
the beauty of thy peace.

A song by your favourite band: 
I haven’t got a favourite band so I’ll pick a favourite artist. I love Nicky Spence’s voice and my favourite of his Scottish songs is Auld Lang Syne. SO gorgeous!!! 

We twa hae paidl'd in the burn 

Frae morning sun til dine, 
But seas between us braid hae roar'd 
Sin' auld lang syne.


A song from a band you hate: 
Again, going for an artist. I dislike Moira Anderson’s voice... but I like her song so I tolerate her lol. The song’s Robin Adair. 😉


What made th' assembly shine?
Robin Adair.
What made the ball sae fine?
Robin was there
What when the play was o'er, What made my heart so sore?
Oh, it was parting with
Robin Adair.

A song that is a guilty pleasure: 
The Loch Lomond arrangement by Deirdre Foyster (sung by Lisa Lockland-Bell, Gregory Moore, Thomas Keenan, the Imogen Men's Chorus, & the Pymble Ladies' College). I have to skip two songs in the medley. But I love the rest of it. 
A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me!
If ye're no a Gordon ye're no use to me. 
The Black Watch are braw, the Seaforths and a,' 
But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a'.

A song no one expects you like:
 Probably Ye Banks & Braes o’ Bonnie Doon sung by Suellen Cusak. I don’t like listening to sopranos generally, but she sings so well and I love her rendition of it, even if she doesn’t sing the Scottish pronunciation. 😉

Aft hae I rov'd by bonnie Doon
To see the rose and woodbine twine;
And ilka bird sang o' its luve,
And fondly sae did I o' mine;
Wi' lightsome heart I pu'd a rose,
Fu' sweet upon its thorny tree!
And my fause luver stole my rose -
But, ah! he left the thorn wi' me.
A song that describes you: 
Hail, Caledonia! (sung/arranged/recorded by Kenneth McKellar & Bob Sharples). 😉 I love the lyrics and they quite apply to me. 😜
Hail Caledonia! land of my childhood, 
Home of my birth, so radiant and fair. 
Though I have roam'd through the world and its beauties, 
Nowhere on earth with thee can compare. 
Thou art majestic and regal in splendour, 
Thou art the land of the gallant and free, 
Lassies with hearts aye so true and so tender. 
Hail Caledonia! how I love thee!


A song you used to love but now hate: 
Comin’ Through the Rye. I like most of the song but... don’t agree with the sentiment. 😏

A song you hear often on the radio: 
Don’t listen to the radio really, so. 🤷🏻‍♀️ And I don't want to hear the songs on the radio, so. 

A song you wish you heard on the radio: 
Any of them! We’ll pick The Road to the Isles (sung by Gregory Moore, Samuel Dundas, & the Queensland Choir) because I really really love that one and I haven’t mentioned it yet. 
So I go on my journey, through the bonny heather, 
Never tiring, though I walked a hundred miles!
There's a song in my heart, be it black or bright the weather, 
For so much am I nearer to the Isles!

A song from your favorite album: 
My favourite songs are in two albums called practically the same thing & which are by the same people, sooo... I’m just gonna pick one song I love. Wi’ a Hundred Pipers & a’ & a’ (sung by Thomas Keenan & the Imogen Men's Chorus). This one is so Scottish and so marital!!
The Esk was swollen sae red an' sae deep, 
But shouther to shouther the brave lads keep; 
Twa thousand swam owre to fell English ground 
An' danced themselves dry to the pibroch's sound. 
Dumfoun'er'd the English saw, they saw, 
Dumfoun'er'd they heard the blaw, the blaw, 
Dumfoun'er'd they a' ran awa', awa', 
Frae the hundred pipers an' a', an' a'.

A song you listen to when you’re angry: 
None in particular... I tend to turn on the playlist and shuffle it. 

A song you listen to when you’re happy: 
Ditto... 

A song you listen to when you’re sad: 
Ditto again... I just don’t pick songs on purpose. 🤷🏻‍♀️

A song you want to play at your wedding: 
My Luve is Like a Red, Red Rose (sung by Nicky Spence)... minus the last two verses because hopefully he won’t be leaving me! XD 
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass, 
So deep in luve am I.
And I will luve thee still, my dear, 
Till a' the seas gang dry.


A song you want played at your funeral: 
Amazing Grace (played by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards & the Czech Film Orchestra) would be the only one eligible for this, and it would be very nice, so. I really love their arrangement of it. 
The Lord hath promised good to me,
  His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
  As long as life endures.

A song that makes you laugh:
I don’t laugh, but this one makes me smile—O Sing to Me the Auld Scotch Sangs sung by Gregory Moore & Suellen Cusack. For inside reasons. ;) I really love their voices and they sing so nicely together! And I love the lyrics. 
O sing to me the auld Scotch sangs 
I' the braid Scottish tongue. 
The sangs my father loved to hear, 
The sangs my mither sung, 
When she sat beside my cradle, 
Or croon'd me on her knee. 
And I wadna sleep, she sang sae sweet, 
The auld Scotch sangs to me. 
And I wadna sleep, she sang sae sweet 
The auld Scotch sangs to me.

A song you can play on an instrument: 
None of these, lol! 

A song you wish you could play: 
Umm... they’d all be cool to be able to play, but I don’t particularly hanker to play any of them. 

A song that makes you feel guilty: 
None on this playlist! 😉

A song from your childhood: 
Leaving this playlist... The theme song for “Country Mouse & City Mouse.” I can still sing the whole thing. :D 

Your favourite song at this time last year:
I have no idea. XD 

I don't tag anyone, but if you want to do it, go ahead! 



4 comments:

  1. Scotland!I have to look all of these up. I mean, I know several, but I want to hear them by these groups. Skye Boat Song...*sniffle* and Lock Lomand!!! Okay, totally in Scotish mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DO! They are AMAZING. I knowwww--I love that one!!! and Loch Lomond is so sad and sweet too. Me too, haha!

      Delete
  2. I KNOW SCOTS WHO HAE!!! *screams* BUT WE LOST THE CD YEARS AGO ANd between the Scottish dialect and the fact I was like eleven I didn't know the lyrics well enough to find it again, but I remember the "Freeman stand or freeman fall" line and was like, that's my William Wallace song!!!
    I may steal a shortened version of this tag. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY THAT'S WONDERFUL!! Here's the link to the whole poem in case you want to read it... https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43813/scots-wha-hae. YOU ARE A WILLIAM WALLACE FAN TOO?!?!
      Doooooo! I wanna see your answers!!

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)