Monday 4 November 2019

My 5 Favourite Bookish Clichés || Clichés & Twists 01


Hello, everyone! Today we're going to have a bit more of a writer/bookish post where I share about my five favourite clichés! We're also starting something that will hopefully become a series... ;) 

We all know what clichés are. (<< please note the accent on the e. "Cliche" is not a word.)  They are the things that show up a lot in books. They are the things that writers are often told to avoid "like the plague." They're like stereotypes. 

My opinion on clichés is divided. On one hand, I like certain clichés. (That's what this post is about). I like certain phrases that tend to come up a lot. "Like the plague," "sadder and wiser," "teeth like pearls," etc, etc. I like those because they're very descriptive. On the other hand, I also like cliché breakers. The description that points something out in a way I've never seen it before. The character that breaks the stereotype. The story plot that twists and turns. 

Clichés can be annoying if they're overused. But they can also just be comforting sometimes. Yes, I read books to learn. To see things through other people's eyes. To find out what it was like to live in those circumstances. But sometimes I read books to escape reality. Sometimes I want a happy little story where everything ties up in a pretty bow. A satisfying story. We need both books. We need books that will show new POVs, new settings, new characters, new storylines, new countries... but we also need the books that just make you go, "Ahhh ^_^." The ones that divert while they bless you. 

And now that I've wandered away from my subject a little and probably got a bit confusing and rambly... on to the clichés! These are things that make me happy when I meet them in a book, no matter how popular they are. 

1. Beau idéal of a hero.
*coughs* It's true. It's always delightful to know that the male half of your character ship is handsome. I like to have my heroes big and manly and handsome and courageous and skilful with his weapons and all that kind of lovely thing. 

2. Beautiful heroine 
This ties in with number one. I've seen people complain because L.M. Montgomery's heroines are always beautiful. But I like when my heroine is pretty. I love pretty things. I love seeing beautiful people. Why begrudge a non-living *coughs* character her beauty? 


3. Predictable romance.
I like being able to ship characters. I like being able to pick out early that they're going to be married. I love when Henty introduces me early to the hero's better half and it annoys me when he doesn't. Happy love stories are beautiful, and I love to see them. 


4. The hero gets out of scrapes often & easily enough.
Henty is very guilty of this cliché. But it's very comforting to know that Malcolm will be sure to get away from the robbers and get back on them. That there's no way Ronald will get killed by the Duke. That at the worst Harry will get a ball through his body or lose a finger, but he's certain not to be hors de combat for life. It's nice not to have to worry over your babies. ;)


5. Happily ever after
The kind of book that just ties everything up in a pretty bow. The kind where the characters you care about live. Where the couple you shipped get married. Where the mystery is solved satisfactorily. Just a happy ending. One that makes you smile. 

You might have noticed a theme with these clichés that I love. They're all a bit... unrealistic. Storyland-only. But they're also just happy. "All end's well" type. It's a bit like an ice cream cone. Familiar and refreshing and just happy stuff.


Stay tuned for part two: My Five Favourite Twists! 


~ / / ~

That's why I say, don't always eschew clichés. Some have been around for years for a reason. This is my opinion, and I understand that it may not be everyone's. What are your thoughts on these clichés? Have you some pet clichés? 

4 comments:

  1. My top favorite is the bad guy speech. Though I don't like a stupid villain to be sure. But I love the satisfaction of knowing exactly what the bad guys are planning. I'm reading a book right now that is not satisfying this curiosity and I'm a nervous wreck, lol! I don't like those kinds of surprises in fiction XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, yes. I like to know 100% what happened in mysteries, though the bad guy speech I don’t like XD

      Delete
  2. There's some cliché phrases I just love...to the core, hit the roof, like everything. Sometimes I think it makes characters sound realer to use them, especially in first person.
    And ahh, I'm slightly called out...even though I love being surprised in stories, sometimes just knowing nothing bad'll happen to the MC--especially in movies--just makes me enjoy it more. XD
    And as we all know, even though I don't care too much how nice a character looks, give him blue eyes and I'm done for. XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! There are some cliché phrases that are really nice/descriptive!
      Haha riiiight XD it’s kind of necessary to be able to trust that, lol.
      Yessss ;)

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)