Monday 16 December 2019

My 8 Favourite Winter Reads of 2019 // 12 Days of Christmas Blog Party



Hello, friends!! If you follow my blog Old-Fashioned Book Love, you know that I'm currently participating in Faith Potts' 12 Days of Christmas Blog Party. I will be posting every day of the party except Sundays on this blog & on OFBL. Make sure you head over to Faith's to read her post and see the other participants' posts. :)



Soooo... today's post is part of a series that I started back in September. I will be listing my 8 favourite books set in winter/that make me think of winter that I read this year. It was hard. XD (I know, I know, not Christmas. But several of these have Christmas in them... and anyhow winter books are fun to read at Christmas time.)

These books are into order. Click the links to see my reviews! :) 


This is my favourite book of the series. It was SUCH a rollercoaster!!! I got so emotionally involved in this book. I was just squealing and moaning and writhing and squealing and grinning like a very happy fangirl... xD 

2. The Big Otter by R.M. Ballantyne. 
Ballantyne is one of my very favourite authors, guys. I loved this book. It had amazing characters, great lessons, lots of humour, it was set in Canada ( ;) ;) )... yeah. It's awesome. xD This one begins in winter and has recurring winter scenes as well. 

This one I can't remember if it is specifically set in winter, but it feels like a winter book to me. I loved this book! It was so funny, but also sweet. I understand that not all Americans might like not though, since its set in the Civil War/War Between the States. 

Yes, this is a MG book and yes, I love it. Excitement, Humour, WWII, and Norway. What more can you ask? ;)

5. Through Russian Snows by G.A. Henty. 

I can't remember if this one starts in winter, but it certainly feels very wintery to me! ;P This is the book that started my soft spot for Russians ;) It's one of my favourite Henty books because of the sibling relationship and the sweet relationship between Julian and the little girl-- *zips mouth against spoilers*

6. Jack & Jill by Louisa May Alcott. 
Ahhhh... this is my second-favourite Alcott book. I love it soooo much. It is so sweet and beautiful and wise and humorous... quintessential Alcott. <33 This one starts in winter and spans a good bit of it. 


I love this book!!! It was my first novel by Pansy, though I read a ton of her short stories before, and I LOVED it. I can't remember if it starts in winter (I think it does...) but it has a very wintry feel to me. 

THE winter book. ;) This always was one of my favourites in this series. I love the survival aspect so much... (#dramaqueen)... and the pioneer-ness... I just love it. <33


There's also a 12DoC giveaway this year! There’s two prizes, and each winner will receive a paperback copy of Behold by Faith Potts, a pair of fuzzy Christmas socks, a Christmas ornament, and a few other small goodies (magnet, candy, something like that). The giveaway will open on the 14th at 12am and close at 12am Christmas morning. Winners will be announced in Faith's post on Christmas Day. Click here to enter! 

~ / / ~

What's one of your favourite winter books? :) 

8 comments:

  1. Of course I've read some of these...;) But I think I need to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course ;P some of those are pretty well known! Yes, you do!!

      Delete
  2. Okay, you're brave to read The Long Winter during wintertime...I can't bear to and we don't even get snow. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE The Rebellion! <3 The Long Winter is such a gem and one I need to re-read. And Hospital Sketches and Snow Treasure are on my TBR. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t it so good?! Yesss it is! Ooo, yay! They’re great. ;)

      Delete
  4. Snow Treasure is one of my all-time favorite books. :)

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so good!! :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Did you enjoy this post? Please let me know your thoughts about it! :) I'd love to hear from you. But please refrain from any profanity & euphemisms. :)